When was the last time you visited a bank in person? If you are like most people, it probably has been a while. Today, more than half of all consumers manage their banking online. The Internet has made it easier than ever to take care of tasks like checking your balance, transferring money, or making payments.
Instead of having to wait in line for a teller, you can handle most banking tasks yourself from the comfort of home, which largely explains the popularity of this type of banking. Some of the different ways that online banking has made our lives easier are listed below:
1. Transfer money between accounts with the click of a mouse. Years ago, if you wanted to transfer money from your checking account to your savings account or vice versa, you had to go to the bank, fill out a form, wait in line, and have a teller handle the transaction for you. With online banking, however, you can transfer money in a matter of seconds just by clicking on a link, entering the amount of the transfer, and submitting it.
2. Pay bills without the need for paper checks. Most banks offer bill payment as part of their online services. Instead of having to write out a check and mail it, you can send payments to just about anyone using the online banking interface. Sending money to friends and family members is also easy thanks to digital payment services like Zelle.
3. Open new accounts from the comfort of home. Opening a bank account online takes just a few minutes, which is far more convenient than having to visit the bank and open one in person. All that you have to do is enter your information, choose a funding source for your new account, and submit your application. As long as everything checks out, your new account will be up and running almost immediately, all without you ever having to step foot out your door.
4. Manage your debit card. If your bank account comes with a debit card, you can manage your card online. For instance, when your old card expires and you get a new one in the mail, you can activate your card through the online banking system instead of having to call and activate it by phone.
5. Deposit checks from home. In the past, if you got paid by check, you had to physically take your check to the bank to deposit it, regardless of whether you took it inside the bank to a teller or deposited it through an ATM (click here if you’re an ATM distributor). Today, however, most banks allow you to deposit the check simply by taking a photo of it and uploading it to the online banking system. This is a quick and easy way to get your money into your account.
Online banking has made our lives easier in many different ways. Tasks like transferring funds, depositing money, paying bills, opening new accounts, and managing your debit card are all easy to do from home with the help of today’s online banking systems.